Schindler House, also known as Kings Road House or Schindler Chase house was built in West Hollywood in 1922 and is considered the first house built in the style of “modernism”. House fundamentally departed from the traditional architecture, there is no conventional kitchen, dining room and living room. It was conceived as a place of residence and work for two young families. Concrete walls and sliding glass walls, open plan and integration with the external environment helped to create an architectural precedent for California at the time. The house was designed in the form of two interconnected apartments (called flats Schindler and Chase), having the shape of the letter “L, consisting of two” studios “and interconnected utility room, which housed a kitchen, laundry, sewing room and pantry. Four studios were originally designed for four family members (Rudolph and Pauline Schindler and Clyde and Marian Chase). The house also has a guest room with own kitchen and bathroom. On the roof of each unit has a terrace-basket, rose from the rain canvas.
Permission to build a house, it was found because of unusual appearance, time, which means the possibility of local authorities to stop construction at any time. However, this did not happen and the house was built in less than a year. In June 1980, Friends of the Schindler House purchased the property for $ 160,000 and completely rebuilt it. In August 1994 an agreement was signed with the Museum of Applied Arts in Vienna or “MAK” (the Austrian Museum of Applied Arts) on the establishment of MAK Center for Art and Architecture at Schindler House (MAK Center for Art and Architecture at the Schindler House). In December 2008 the house was included in the list of top 10 houses in Los Angeles in the history of a survey of experts by The Los Angeles Times. Schindler House in U.S by Rudolph Schindler